June 4, 2013

Old Fart.

Well my cute hubby turned 25 last Friday.
He's growing up so fast.
This year we realized that DJ is half way through his twenties, five years away from being 30.
Then we realized that I am still a decade away from being 30. 
And we awkwardly looked at one another and I assured him that he really isn't a cradle robber.

.......**crickets**.......

He's the Old Fart and I'm his Kid Wife.
But we're cute so who cares.

To celebrate DJ's leap into Old Fart-hoodom, we drove to the cabin on Friday afternoon after work.
Just me, him and Benny.

This is the cute puppy monster snuggled in my lap on the way to the cabin:


He doesn't really like car rides, so instead of coping with his emotions like a big boy
he just falls asleep whenever we drive anywhere with him.
Although I am a believer in facing your fears and giving them a round-house kick in the rear, I cherish Benny's car-ride sleepiness because it's the only time our snuggles aren't forced.
Isn't he absolutely a peach?
Too bad he also happens to be a very, very small terrorist who loves trying to eat people.

We arrived at the cabin around 8:00PM and for the first time in a couple of weeks we did nothing.
It was heavenly.
DJ cleaned his guns, I did a word search, Benny munched on a rawhide.
 No plans, no pressure, just relaxation.

This trip was Benny's first to the cabin.
I'd say, overall, he had a blast! DJ and I sure had fun watching him explore.
We threw him in the water at the Blue Hole and for a second we weren't sure if he was going to come back up. DJ was ready to jump in after him when he finally surfaced and swam back to the shore.
A little while later, after we had hiked a bit more, we went back to the Blue Hole and DJ jumped in with Benny. DJ pretended that the water felt great and totally convinced me to jump in with my clothes on, too.
Ya, it was freezing.
I totally understood why all Benny wanted to do was get out.
For the first time ever I actually found it difficult to breathe in the water because it was so cold.
That was a little bit scary but thankfully I didn't panic and was able to get out of the water.
Benny did NOT appreciate being tossed in the water against his will twice. We learned this when we passed some other hikers going the opposite way on the trail back to the cabin and Benny made it abundantly clear that he would rather stay with them than with us. We sort of felt bad, but at the same time we were really excited that he knew how to swim. Also he looks pathetically cute when he is wet, so dunking him in the water was totally worth it.
This picture isn't from the cabin but it captures just how pitiful Benny looks when wet:
Melts your heart, huh?

Well we came home from the cabin on Saturday afternoon and spent some time with friends later that evening. Sunday came and went, but on Monday we did something really really cool.


As a birthday present, I bought DJ concert tickets to one of our favorite bands, Imagine Dragons!
The show was AMAZING, like I can't even stress that enough.
It was my first concert (DJ's, like, bazillionth concert), and it was such an awesome experience.
The band is super talented and they create incredible, unique music. I really appreciate that they create that amazing music and leave all the unnecessary profanity out of their songs. I have pretty thick ears, but I respect them more because they maintained their standards on stage, unlike most other popular bands.
They did a great job connecting with the audience, and I think that DJ and I had a ton of fun.
I would totally pay to see them again.

So that was the birthday weekend for my Old Fart.
He truly is the greatest blessing in my life.
He's my biggest fan, and I truly believe that I could not face many of my trials without him.
I don't think I could walk through this life or the next with a better man by my side.
I'm so lucky that he is mine forever, and I wouldn't trade a single day with him for 100 years the other way.
He's my main squeeze, my home-skillet biscuit.
I love you, Dougy.

No comments:

Post a Comment