August 9, 2013

Fugitive.


So DJ and I were driving home from Backyard Taco last night in our separate cars. DJ is driving my car and I'm next to him in his car at a stoplight. There's a cop behind me, but I don't take much notice. The light turns green and the cop car jumps over a lane behind DJ and flips on  his lights. DJ is getting pulled over.

Honestly, we had been expecting to get pulled over sooner or later. The tags on my car are from March 2012. Seriously. We did re-register the car last year but they never sent us the tags in the mail, and we have just been putting off registering the vehicle for this current year. Super bad of us, we know.

I follow the cop car into the parking lot where DJ stopped. DJ lets the officer know that I'm the wife and the cop has me pull in and park next to DJ. DJ gives the officer his information and the police man goes back to his car to run the information. So I'm talking with DJ out the window, and the cop suddenly decides that he wants to talk to ME. 

Officer: "Ma'am, do you know that there is a warrant out for your arrest in Texas?"

Me: (*blank stare*) "Excuse me?"

Officer: "There is a warrant out for Haley Odom's arrest attached to this license plate number."

I couldn't even believe it. I've never even been to Texas! I'm starting to panic and the officer sees that I am absolutely bewildered and asks me if I'd like to see the warrant for myself. I say yes and follow him to his car where his computer is, and sure enough, attached to my license plate information is a warrant for my arrest. For theft. In Texas. WHAT! 

Luckily, even though the warrant was for me (first, middle and last name + accurate date of birth) there was a description attached that mentioned blonde hair and a tatooed foot. And I have neither. The cop scared the poo out of me for nothing. I hope the blonde Haley Odom who steals things from Texas is happy.

2 comments:

  1. I knew I felt I had to hold onto my things a little tighter around you....... haha tots joking. That is terrifyingly hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...that's scary, but a little funny. I had a similar thing happen. One time I got a letter instead of a tax refund saying that my refund had been garnished to pay restitution for crimes in Pinal county. I immediately called Chris to ask what the heck he had done and of course he knew nothing about it. When I finally figured it all out, some man, upon his arrest gave MY social security number so they had me attached to him that way. The crime had been committed when I was on my mission. When I assured them I was not, in fact, Francisco Marquez they released my refund. I have had other issues since but I think we finally have it worked out. Goodness! What an adventure.

    ReplyDelete