May 13, 2013

Angels.


I've spent quite some time debating whether or not I am ready to write about this. 

I do not know if anyone will read this, 
or if they will even care.

But I remember the messages shared with me, ones that were thought to be obscure, ones that lifted me up in my time of need. And I am inspired and encouraged to write, hoping that our story will maybe possibly touch someone's life, as others' messages have touched ours.

August 28, 2012
We lost our baby.

It is difficult to describe how I felt when we realized what was happening. 
It now seems like a blur, a dream, when I think about it. 
All I am sure of is that I was in pain.

Unimaginable pain.

Physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually. 
Just pain.

All of the excitement that I had felt upon realizing we were going to have a baby was halted and replaced with this pain. "Delivering" the baby was physically draining, but the emotional and spiritual pain that accompanied our loss was incredible.

I remember being angry, confused and hurt. I was so angry that it made me physically ill. All I have ever wanted was to be a mother and in a day or two that opportunity was torn from my grasp. I hated everything. I did not want to talk to anyone, I did not want to see anyone. I refused to accept comfort and support. I hated going out, I hated staying in. I hated waking up in the morning, I hated going to sleep. 
I was devastated. 

Why did this have to happen to me?
Why would God allow me to suffer like this?
Why did I have to give my baby back?

So many tears were shed. Sobbing, crying, screaming, moaning.
Complete and utter heartbreak.

While he was heartbroken as well, my poor husband did not understand what I was going through and had a hard time empathizing with my pain. Neither of us realized the effect that losing our baby would have on our relationship, and we struggled for a while. 

Eventually we realized that we weren't enough. We could not carry ourselves through this trial.
 Our faith had been shaken, but we needed it now more than ever before. 
We fell to our knees and asked for understanding, for comfort, for hope.
And it came.

It still hurt to hear friends announce that they were pregnant. 
I still got choked up at the sight of beautiful pregnant women or sweet tiny babies.
But the pain was bearable, and we knew that the Lord was looking out for us and giving us strength.

A few months went by, and we felt like the worst had passed. We were moving forward, with the Lord at our side, looking forward to what the future had in store for us.

And then a miracle happened.

Our rainbow baby was on its way! 
We were pregnant!

The joy DJ and I felt was amazing. We shared that joy with our family and close friends, and we were all looking forward to meeting our little miracle.

I struggled with morning sickness and fatigue for weeks and weeks, but I could not have been happier. 
My dreams were coming true, and all of the discomfort was going to be worth it. 

At 10 weeks we went to see the doctor for the first time. Now, with the previous pregnancy, we never got around to seeing a doctor as the baby passed away before we had the opportunity to do so. We did not know what to expect, but we were ecstatic to be going to meet our baby.

The ultrasound.
"Is that our baby?!"
"Yes it is."

The most amazing thing I had ever experienced, seeing that teeny tiny body inside of mine. 
DJ and I loved each other then more than ever before. 

We were so thrilled and overwhelmed that we did not realize that we couldn't hear a heartbeat.

We were ushered into the doctor's office, where we waited, expecting to hear all about the do's and don't's of pregnancy. We could not believe that we were going to be parents. 

Then the doctor came in.
The baby has no heartbeat.
The baby has no heartbeat.

March 26, 2013, almost 7 months to the day, we lost our second baby.

The tears came, the sorrow, the heartbreak. 
But no anger.

A night and day difference from our previous loss.

This was a huge change for me. DJ was so loving and supportive, we grew closer together rather than further apart. Our loss was great, but we felt the Lord's arms around us, sheltering us from the pain. 
We were blessed with understanding and hope for the future. 

This time around, we let people in. The support of friends and family was overwhelming. From flowers, to dinners, to phone calls and sweet messages, we were blown away by the magnitude of love that was sent our way. Many of the people who reached out to us didn't even realize the impact that their actions had. We realized that God was working behind the scenes for our good, especially at this time. 

While our two little baby angels were in heaven with Him, 
His angels were working here on this earth to bring us strength and comfort.

I think about my babies every single day. 
I yearn for them.
I cry for them.
I miss them.

But I know that I am stronger because of them. There was a time when I could not possibly imagine what good could come out of such an experience as this, but the Lord has opened my eyes, and I now recognize all that my sweet husband and I have learned. 

And I am grateful.

15 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this and thank you for sharing. :) you are so strong and amazing and one day you will have your babies in your arms. I love you so much Haley! This is such a hard thing to deal with and I remember that no matter what anyone else said it didn't help. It's okay to hurt, but I promise it'll get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley, thanks for posting this. You and Dj are such a inspiration to everyone. You guys are so physically, emotionally, and spiritually tough. Thank you for being such a great example to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph. It means a lot that you took the time to read the post. You're such an amazing friend, and I love you :)

      Delete
  3. You and DJ are a STRONG couple. You two are definitely amazing and I thank you Haley for sharing this. Thank you for your example and your strength. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Hailey. Miscarriage is more common than many of us realize - I've had two mini miscarriages in the past four months. I struggled with many of the same feelings. It's interesting what a taboo topic it is - and how much it hurts.

    By NO means am I saying I understand, since we all have different experiences, but I can empathize. It's painful. Deeply painful. And even the most sensitive men can't understand - a lot of that has to do with the hormones and intense attachment you feel the moment you realize you're pregnant.

    But keep the faith. You will be a wonderful mother someday. And be happy in the mean time - we won't get another chance to be alone with our husbands! Once our babies come, we'll be wrapped up in taking care of them. Sending love your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read our story. It means a lot!

      I was shocked when I learned how common miscarriage really is - I was also relieved to know that I was not the only one who struggled with it. It does hurt. So bad. With our first miscarriage I focused on the hurt, but the second time around, finding the blessings was my goal. While I still feel the pain that accompanies our loss, the Lord has helped me to see past that and to recognize the lessons embedded in our experience. It's all about perspective. And as you mentioned, focusing on and spending time with our husbands is a great way to prepare for our future children!

      Thank you for your sweet message and I wish you and your husband all the happiness in the world!

      Delete
  5. And my apologies for misspelling your name. Love ya, Haley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so strong! Stronger than anyone I know and I'm so sorry. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You both are so strong and such an inspiration! Keep putting your faith in Heavenly Father. Love you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing. I don't know you but I know your husband - he was friends with my sister, Lindsey, in college. My heart breaks for you guys but I also wanted to thank you for sharing your testimony. The Holy Ghost is such a special gift and I'm so grateful He is a comforter for us when we need him to be. Your little angels are waiting for you.

    A couple of years ago, a friend of mine lost her baby a couple of weeks before his due date. At that time, I sent her this email, which I thought might be applicable to you as well:
    ______

    I was reading in the Book of Mormon last night and I read some verses that made me think of your family so I want to share them:

    "And because he hath done this, my beloved brethren, have miracles ceased? Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither have angels ceased to minister unto the children of men. For behold, they are subject unto him, to minister according to the word of his command, showing themselves unto them of strong faith and a firm mind in every form of godliness. And the office of their ministry is to call men unto repentance, and to fulfill and to do the work of the covenants of the Father, which he hath made unto the children of men, to prepare the way among the children of men, by declaring the word of Christ unto the chosen vessels of the Lord, that they may bear testimony of him and by so doing, the Lord God prepareth the way that the residue of men may have faith in Christ, that the Holy Ghost may have place in their hearts, according to the power thereof; and after this manner bringeth to pass the Father, the covenants which he hath made unto the children of men." Moroni 7:29-32

    I thought these verses were interesting because I haven't thought a lot about angels and their role. So then I went to the Bible Dictionary and looked up angels. According to Hebrews 1:14, they are "ministering spirits." The Bible Dictionary says there are two types of angels: 1. Those who have bodies of flesh and bone. 2. Spirits who have not yet received a body or who have once had a moral body and have died and are awaiting the resurrection.

    It feels right to think that Ian is an angel for your family. He will prepare the way for each of you. He will "fulfill and do the work of the covenants of the Father" for your benefit. He will prepare you so the Holy Ghost can touch your hearts.
    ________

    Many blessings await you guys. Thank you again for sharing.

    Ashley Schultz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet message. I mentioned to another friend a little while ago that each and every person who reaches out to us has something to say that we need to hear. Your message is no different, and I am so grateful that you shared! Thank you so much :)

      Delete